It is October, which means it is once again Cybersecurity Awareness Month. Sponsored by the United States Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency, the annual campaign focuses on the importance of protecting yourself from online security threats. This year, the theme is “See Yourself in Cyber.” According to the CISA.gov website, the theme “demonstrates that while cybersecurity may seem like a complex subject, ultimately, it’s really all about people.”
Personal Cybersecurity Checklist
October is the perfect time to double-check your online security. Here is a simple checklist to help ensure your safety and privacy online.
- Keep your software up to date.
- Use unique, complicated passwords or passphrases for each account. A password manager tool can help to manage your passwords.
- Change your passwords regularly.
- Use multi-factor authentication.
- Be suspicious. Don’t click links in e-mails without checking that the sender is legitimate. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Only download and install software from reputable sources.
- Wipe and reset old devices before recycling them.
- Use browser plugins such as Ghostery, and other privacy features to protect your personal data when browsing.
- Use a VPN when on public or open wireless connections.
- Use websites such as haveibeenpwned.com, which allow you to see if your personal information has leaked in any corporate data breaches. Change any password and update your accounts to be safe.
Following these tips and tricks will ensure that you remain cybersecure while online. It’s always a good idea to stay safe and vigilant, and protect your identity and data.