Every November, “National Inspirational Role Models Month” recognizes and acknowledges those that inspire, guide, and teach you to be the best you can be. Their positive outlook influences your everyday activities, motivates you to succeed, and encourages you to persevere. This could be a friend, an employer, teacher, activist, celebrity, or clergy. Regardless of who it is, there is a reason why you look up to them. Perhaps, it is because you want to emulate them, or just because you respect what they stand for. Nevertheless, they inspire you to make a difference in your life and possibly others.
This provides an opportunity to express your gratitude for those who exemplify the qualities, character, leadership, and persona you admire. There is a reason this person is your role model—for instance, they probably support your growth and empower you to take charge of your life, keeping your unique personality, and ultimately being the best version of yourself. Therefore, why not pay it forward by being a good role model and instill confidence and goodness in others?
Almost anyone can be a role model, especially if you have the following qualities:
- The passion and ability to inspire
- A clear set of values
- A commitment to community
- Selflessness and acceptance of others
- The ability to overcome obstacles
If you always demonstrate confidence and possess leadership skills, you will challenge yourself and others to look at things from an objective, positive perspective. If you are always proud of yourself and others, people will gravitate towards you and you will never have to be something you are not. If you are a good listener and keep an open mind, others will know you care. If you interact with everyone in a room, even if you do not know them well, you will demonstrate your selflessness. Lastly, if you recognize your flaws and own your faults, you help others to improve by doing the same.
Many of the best quotes come from inspirational role models. Here are a few that might inspire you:
- “In the practice of tolerance one’s enemy is the best teacher.” The Dalai Lama
- “A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.” Albert Einstein
- “Imperfection is a beauty, madness is genius and it is better to be absolutely ridiculous than to be absolutely boring.” Marilyn Monroe
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living somebody else’s life.” Steve Jobs
- “I don’t want to be remembered as the girl who was shot. I want to be remembered as the girl who stood up.” Malala Yousafzai
- “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” Amelia Earhart
- “Step out of the history that is holding you back. Step into the new story you are willing to create.” Oprah Winfrey
- “If you hear a voice within you say ‘you cannot paint,’ then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.” Vincent Van Gogh
Inspire someone today, be a role model for someone this month, and if you need more inspiration, check out these resources: